Friday, January 11, 2008

Food Inn - Indian Dine

Food Inn - Indian Dine : 1224 Glen Huntly Rd, Glen Huntly 3163

Wanted to start the blog with a rave review - here it is. Food Inn is a cute, super cheap North & South Indian Restaurant in the shopping strip along Glen Huntly station. They're open weekday evenings (except Monday) and in the weekends are open for lunch and dinner. We went Saturday lunch - Sunday they have an all you can eat buffet that's around $13.

Their North Indian menu is pretty standard-ish, there's all the usual meat curries, as well as a large vegie menu. I like the South Indian part because I like South Indian food, and it's also a bit more difficult to find in Melbs.

Today I got Dosa, Vada, Iddly and a Meetha Naan (yum). The Dosa was fabulously crisp, the potato filling was lovely, and it comes with Sambar and Coconut Chutney. The Meetha Naan was great - I haven't had one before (I'm a garlic naan kinda gal) but it's like a regular naan stuffed with fenugreek leaves and then cooked. It was super! The fenugreek is a bit spinachy, with a faint trace of maple syrupy smell (tastes better than I'm making it sound). My only issue with Food Inn is that they do use quite a bit of ghee - not the best if you're a reformed vegan and it also makes the food quite heavy. Apart from that it's all good. Other good recommendations from the menu that I've had previously are the Mushroom Curry (which they can make mild for you if you're a chilli-baby like me), Samosa with Mint sauce, and Palak Paneer.

I give it 9/10.

Veg-ometer - 8/10 (huge vegie menu, but perhaps not the best for vegans)

Prices - $12 - $15 for mains, $3 - $8 for snacks (Cheap!)

No comments: